Thinking back...

So I got to thinking today about being a "grown-up" with "grown-up" responsibilities, and started thinking about things that I miss.

Growing up in the "woods",we got to roam around on trails and tree forts (which weren't really forts, as much as trees that were either leaning all awkwardly or had huge branches that we could hide under). When I was fourteen, and my only real worry was whether or not I was going to make the cheerleading squad. I didn't have to worry about a jobs, bills, any real responsibility.
Playing make-believe. I know we didn't grow up decades ago, but regardless, when we were young we didn't pass the time by watching TV, playing video games or getting online. It was all about playing "grow-ups" or teacher and student (yes, we actually played "student " because to us, it sounded like the most exciting thing in the world to be a student?), or pretending we were some sort of animal, or librarians(Julie loved this one), Julie also loved to have a video store in her closet....I will just leave it at that.

Riding lawnmowers in the woods, riding the moped in the woods.....ok so for some reason mom and dad wouldn't get us a 4-wheeler....so we made do with what we had! We used to throw the blade on if the trail looked like it was getting too high.(its okay...you can laugh....we do!)

Running through sprinklers. I still want to do that, but never get the chance. The closest I get to that now, is walking outside when Adam is washing the cars.

Sitting around at night watching TV with Julie and sometimes mom and dad:). We would watch TGIF every Friday (tell me you didn't love TGIF - um, Boy Meets World, Step by Step, Family Matters?). We'd sit around and laugh at how dad fell asleep in the chair and how loud he snored.

Renting movies on the weekend. Julie and I used to rent the same movies every other weekend. Okay...you are wondering which two movies were so incredibly moving that we got them over and over...

...okay..so if you missed these wonderous presentations of amazing acting and cinematography, then you should check these out.
Summer vacations with my family. We went to Disneyworld one year and then Colorado a couple of years later. My parents must have spent so much on those vacations, but you never heard them complain about anything. We loved making mom and dad ride rollercoasters that we knew would make their "equilibrium" unbalanced as they would say.

When I used to dream what I'd be like and what I'd look like at the age I am now I don't think I'd disappoint the younger me, but it is all so different than I could have imagined. I guess we never really know the plans for our future. Just when we think we have it all figured out, Wham! Everything changes...
What are some things you miss?

12 comments:

Anonymous July 11, 2008 at 9:50 AM  

I miss ICEES! Oh wait I still get those!

Tracy Purdy July 11, 2008 at 10:03 AM  

OH Adam...nice comment! ha

Anonymous July 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM  

LOVE the new blog!! You did a great job with the layout and pics...i still need to figure that all out a bit! I will definitely be reading this daily! :)
I used to watch Drop Dead Fred over and over again too!! (along with some others I'm too embarrassed to mention)!

Lindsay Lou July 11, 2008 at 10:39 AM  

First let me say for being new to this you put my blog to shame. Soo cute!! Second, I will just say I too LOVED TGIF! Fun times! I definitely miss the carefree-ness of life. I believe ignorance is bliss!

Sarah July 11, 2008 at 10:42 AM  

I miss Play-Doh! Making things with it and eating it!;)

I LOVED Don't Tell Mom The Babysitters Dead!!! Plus you can't find better TV than TGIF! Whatever happen to predictabilty...the milkman, paper boy...:)

Leslie July 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM  

Great post, Trace!! I miss having a friend over every Friday night and having summer's off and going to the City pool almost everyday. I'm still waiting till "work" gets off for the summer, but it hasn't happened yet. I definitely miss not having any financial responsibility!

The Proctors July 11, 2008 at 1:58 PM  

Hey Tracy!! I'm glad that you commented on our blog! I'm going to add you to my list! Being a child was the best! No worries about anything! Boy...do I wish it were still like that! TGIF was the best! I looked forward to it every week!

cv July 11, 2008 at 3:13 PM  

I guess we did have some funny times at Lakeside, living in the woods of Hensley, AR. Why not share the time the snake coiled up as we were conducting a scouting adventure, and then remember when you and Julie dropped ya'll brand new flashlights and compass?!

The Nelson Family July 11, 2008 at 11:24 PM  

Seriously share the love for "Boy Meets World". Afterwards, Cory and I would play "camping" in our rooms...build a tent, blow up a life raft, light bright campfire and eat Little Debbie Apple Delights. So awesome. Those were the days.

cissi July 14, 2008 at 11:12 AM  

great blog and sure sounds like great memories Tracy!
But hey, we'll add onto the memory library when you guys get back here!
luv ya both and can't wait to see ya
c

Biz July 14, 2008 at 1:09 PM  

i just need to say that i am SO excited you're blogging. :)

Charity July 15, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

I totally miss TGIF too! I also miss trading clothes with all of our friends---we thought we had a new cute outfit every day. Why didn't we realize that everyone knew we had traded with eachother.... ??? I miss that place in the mall called "Happy Names" or something---they would paint your name on ANYTHING, which for some reason, made it extra cool.